Buy this and your school gets €1.50 to spend on books Orders of €20 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
The funny and joyful picture book from the number one bestselling author and illustrator of The Gruffalo, Stick Man and Zog. ‘Morning had dawned on the African plain. The lion lay grooming his glorious mane. The kudu looked cool and the rhino looked fine. The bright pink flamingos looked simply divine. The zebra looked graceful; the leopard look great. Oh what a picture of beauty – but wait!’
Who’s that singing on the savannah? The wildebeest, warthog, vulture, hyena and marabou stork swagger proudly across the savannah, rejoicing in their ugliness – and delighting their babies, who think they’re perfect just the way they are. Inspired by the real-life Ugly Five safari animals, this gorgeous picture book is a celebration of animals who are often rather unloved.
- Sturdy board pages with softly rounded corners are perfect for little ones
- A funny and comical picture book from the UK’s number one picture book author and illustrator
- Perfect read-aloud rhyming text and stunning pictures on every page with lots of details to spot
- Full of fabulous animals!
- Celebrates being yourself, family and friendship
- From the creators of The Gruffalo, Stick Man and Zog, which have all been made into animated films
- Superworm is on BBC One at Christmas with voice artists including Oscar-winner Olivia Colman (narrator), Matt Smith (Superworm) and Rob Brydon (Crow)
- New for September 2022 – look out for The Baddies, the wickedly funny new picture book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler.
Our October 2020 Ages 0-2 Book of the Month
I have chosen The Ugly Five Board Book as my pick for October, as it’s a great one for that all-important end-of day bedtime moment. It features a lovable bunch of quirky animals that will soon become firm favourites with little ones, helping them engage with words, books and print from an early age in a fun and accessible way.
There is a reason that Julia and Axel’s books are devoured bestsellers and constantly winning awards: Julia’s texts are always the ultimate read-aloud, offering the perfect lyrical pitch of rhythm and rhyme – just what youngsters love to hear. Axel’s pictures are bursting with colour, character and real kid-attraction, with lots to point out, spot and talk about. Kids love animals, and this book celebrates the top five real-life ‘Ugly animals’ of Africa, who learn to rejoice in their ugliness, and whose own babies think they’re perfect just the way they are. With themes of empathy, kindness, acceptance and celebrating difference, it’s a great one for your library.
Experts agree that by reading aloud to your child on a daily basis you bolster their chances for success in school and later life, and help to develop listening and visual skills. Encourage them to touch and hold the sturdy pages and just watch the excitement as they interact. Repetition of words is key to youngsters’ early vocabulary, so try sharing a book every day.
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
Mortal Engines Quartet #1: Mortal Engines
- Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam: The Spooky School
- Stick Man (Board Book)
- Bad Nana #1: Older Not Wiser
- Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy (Board Book)
3booksTerry Pratchett Nomes Pack x 3
The Highway Rat (Early Reader)
The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
5booksScholastic Bestsellers Picture Book Pack x 5
4booksYoung Bond Pack x 4
SAVE Promo available
- Room 13
Pig the Pug
- Moon and Me: Goodnight, Moon Baby
- My Magical Unicorn Journal
Count and Play with Barry the Fish with Fingers
Baby Sensory: Say Hello to the Sun
- Horrid Henry's Jolly Joke Book
6booksUsborne First Reading: Just So Stories Pack x 6
SAVE Promo available
Mrs Pepperpot Stories
4booksAnne Fine Pack x 4
- Pablo: Goodnight Pablo