Missing: The True Story of My Family in World War II
Buy this and your school gets €2.34 to spend on books Orders of €20 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
As heard on The Jeremy Vine Show
As heard on The Cerys Matthews Show
“Michael Rosen is a master of pace and clarity… Essential reading.” – The Times, Children’s Book of the Week
“Five stars … extraordinary and affecting. ” – The Telegraph, Children’s Book of the Week
“Rosen handles the difficult topic as sensitively and thoughtfully as you would expect, always writing in a straightforward and accessible way for children.” – BookTrust, the UK’s largest reading charity
A personal, powerful and resonant account of the Holocaust by one of this country’s best-loved children’s authors. By turns charming, shocking and heart-breaking, this is the true story of Michael Rosen’s search for his relatives who “went missing” during the Second World War – told through prose, poetry, maps and pictures.
When Michael was growing up, stories often hung in the air about his great-uncles: one was a clock-mender and the other a dentist. They were there before the war, his dad would say, and weren’t after.
Over many years, Michael tried to find out exactly what happened: he interviewed family members, scoured the internet, pored over books and traveled to America and France. The story he uncovered was one of terrible persecution – and it has inspired his poetry for years since.
Here, poems old and new are balanced against an immensely readable narrative; both an extraordinary account and a powerful tool for talking to children about the Holocaust.
Supported and checked by the UCL Centre for Holocaust Education.
“Fascinating, chilling and poignantly personal” – Financial Times
“The Missing may ostensibly concern the Holocaust but, as Rosen makes clear, this is a book about facing down prejudice, defying those who would sow the seeds of hatred and opening our arms to those in need.” – Independent
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
- Happy Puppy, Happy Dog: How to Train Your Best Friend
- We Had to Be Brave: Escaping the Nazis on the Kindertransport
- By Rowan and Yew
The 91-Storey Treehouse
- Always and Forever, Lara Jean
- Wolfe & Lamb #1: Kat Wolfe Investigates
- The Fox Girl and the White Gazelle
- I Was There...: Tutankhamun's Tomb
- Tudors: Kings, Queens, Scribes and Ferrets!
- Stage Full of Shakespeare Stories
- The Return of the Railway Children
- Our Castle by the Sea
- As Good As Dead
Vote For Effie
- The Queen's Fool
- Poems from the Second World War
Home Again: Stories About Coming Home From War
- A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder
- A Rebel in Auschwitz
- GamesMaster Presents: The Ultimate Builder's Guide in Minecraft
- You & Me at the End of the World
- Mustard, Custard, Grumble Belly and Gravy
- Concrete Rose
Please Write Soon: An Unforgettable Story of Two Cousins in World War II
4booksMichael Rosen and Tony Ross Pack
- Dog Man #7: For Whom the Ball Rolls
- Oxford School Atlas
- Scholastic Classics: Romeo and Juliet
- How Not to Lose It: Mental Health Sorted
- By Ash, Oak and Thorn