Out of this World: Spartan - Motion Comic CD-ROM (Zones 1-4)
This product is not currently available.
To help you find what you're looking for, see similar items below.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Out of this World is a series of innovative fiction reading books, suitable for reluctant readers across KS2.
The series consists of 32 manga-style graphic and illustrated novels that are attractive and accessible to those boys and girls less keen to pick up a standard reading book.
There are four different ‘space worlds’ (story sets) – The Arkies, Space Sports, Halycrus and Spartan – each with cool new characters and exciting adventure plots. Each strand consists of eight books spanning four different reading levels (zones).
Books increase in reading difficulty throughout each strand. The highest level books move away from the manga-style, but the series structure encourages boys and girls to keep reading on.
The latest books in the series, Spartan, follow the adventures of best friends Perry and Fasool aboard their home planet, the giant spaceship Spartan.
The Spartan books are accompanied by a CD-ROM containing a Motion Comic – a simple animation of the Space Pirates title in colour. Children can click on individual frames to animate part of the scene and display the text. This interactive version is more engaging for children. The Motion Comic is more ‘fun’ to read, they have control over the story and they can predict what might happen next or even make up their own dialogue.
Also on the CD-ROM is a set of teachers’ notes and photocopiable activities for all eight Spartan books to aid guided reading.
- Suitable for independent and guided reading
- Sci-fi, highly illustrated books to appeal to boys – although girls will love them too!
- Each book includes a guide to reading manga (books in zones one and two only), character cards and a glossary of unusual and invented words.
September 6th, 2010
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Out of this World
Out of this World is a series of manga-style graphic and illustrated sci-fi novels supported with software to write your own graphic novel.
The series is perfect for reluctant readers and writers in Years 4–6 and is divided into four Zones (levels). At each Zone there are:
- Six manga-style graphic or illustrated sci-fi adventure novels
- A teacher’s resource book with activities and plot summaries
- A CD-ROM with templates and artwork for writing a new adventure.
Out of this World Teacher Resource Books
Each Zone (level) is supported with a wealth of notes, activities and the software and artwork to write you own graphic. Within each Teacher Resource Book you’ll find:
- Plot summaries for each story
- Reading and writing activities for each story
- Photocopiable pages
- Detailed guidance on using the CD-ROM
Interactive resources supplied on the CD-ROM are:
- Artwork from the book and graphic novel templates to help the children write their own story
- Covers and logos to create a cover for their book
- Character cards
- Quick writing activities – for example, ‘What happened next?’ and image-only versions of spreads from the books to allow the children to write their own versions.
There are three strands of Out of this World novels:
- The Arkies
- Space Sports
Each strand follows a different set of sci-fi characters and aliens as they explore and colonise distant planets.
The novels in each strand are published at four Zones (levels), with two novels at each Zone:
- Zone 1 (Graphic novels; 32pp; interest level Years 4–5)
- Zone 2 (Graphic novels 40pp; interest level Years 4–5)
- Zone 3 (Graphic novels 48pp; interest level Years 5–6)
- Zone 4 (Illustrated novels; 64pp; interest level Years 5–6) Each series has a different set of characters and aliens and a different style of artwork.
We can supply each children’s title as a pack of 6 or as a single purchase.
We can also supply the books for each zone as:
- Zone starter pack: one copy of each novel at that Zone plus the accompanying teacher’s resource book
- Zone class pack: six copies of each novel at that Zone book plus one copy of the accompanying teacher’s resource book